Thursday, April 5, 2012

What A Man...

On today's date in 1916 one of the greatest actors to ever grace the silver screen was born.  Eldred Gregory Peck is known for being a part of two American classics; Moby Dick and To Kill A Mockingbird.  But most people do not know that he was an activist and fought for civil rights as well as gay rights.  He was a man who was born before his time, we could really use someone like him today with all that is going on in our world.  I fell in love with Mr. Peck the first time I watched To Kill A Mockingbird.  I was in 9th grade and my English teacher allowed us to watch the movie to compare it to the novel which we were reading in class at the time.  All of my friends were making fun of the movie because it is in black and white and calling it boring, but I was completely mesmerized by Atticus Finch.  All I could think of was here was a father who was doing all he could to teach his children right from wrong, even if others did not agree with his ideas.  Gregory Peck was in my opinion very much like Atticus Finch, he stood up for what he believed in no matter what others thought.  We can all learn something from his way of thinking, we need to stand up for what we believe in and support causes that mean something to us.  I will try to carry these learned lessons with me throughout my life and hope that others do so as well.  Happy Birthday Gregory Peck and thank you!




No comments:

Post a Comment